Thursday, January 22, 2009

Inaugural Ball, Michelle Obama's Dress

I must say I was a little surprised to see the dress Michelle Obama wore to the Inaugural Ball. Not that it was not nice or pretty, but it did not suit her. It was a little too foofy (not sure if that word really exists, but you get the picture) for her personality. Sleek, classy and stream-lined would have suited her much better. Maybe a winter white might have been more appropriate than a stark white.

It was also too long; she must have needed to lift it, when she walked. Beyonce's dress was also too long. Who wants a style you can't walk in?

Someone, that I thought was an expert, told me to hem a bridesmaid's gown just above the heel because that would be the correct length. I did hear about my bad hemming job from the bridesmaid; she was tripping over it all night long. I later learned gowns should be hemmed to just hit the instep.

And why didn't Mrs. Obama have gold/yellow leather gloves (instead of green) to match that beautiful, classy, a-little-flashy-for-daytime-except-she-is-the-first-lady-outfit that she wore for the swearing in? It seems there just are no rules any more when it comes to fashion.

No comments: