Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Andy Rooney EAT MORE FRUIT April 13, 2008

I have always loved Andy Rooney. Up until now anyway. (Okay, I still probably love him, I'm just annoyed.) When I happened to see him April 13, 2008 EAT MORE FRUIT I became very disturbed to think he didn't really know that a tomato is a fruit! Cucumbers, summer squash, winter squash and green peppers are fruits, also! How could he have called a tomato a vegetable!!!

I think people have been accustomed to labeling fruits/vegetables by where they are in the supermarket or by their color, or what we use them for. If it goes in a tossed salad, it must be a vegetable...or not! I think the brighter the color, the better the chance of people calling it a fruit.

A fruit is easy to distinguish from a vegetable. A flower will turn into a fruit and therefore the seeds will be inside. A vegetable will have flowers that turn into seeds. The key is, where are the seeds in relation to what we eat. If they are inside what we eat, it is a fruit. If the seeds are outside or separate from what we eat, it is a vegetable. I know rambling.....

On the issue of labels on my fruits/vegetables...I love them when I'm in the checkout so that no one has to look up what I'm buying, but I hate them when I get home and have to take them off!

No comments: