Thursday, October 15, 2009

15 Year Old Florida Boy Intentially Burned

Every morning the news is disturbing, but especially so this morning and recently. A 15-year-old boy, Michael Brewer, was set on fire by five young boys with the aid of rubbing alcohol. Michael was burned on 65% of his body and may have saved his own life by jumping into a pool. Due to the severity of his burns, the next few days are critical. According to the Miami Herald, five boys have been arrested: Matthew Bent, 15; Denver Colorado Jarvis, 15; Denver's brother Jeremy Jarvis, 13; Steven Shelton, 15; and Jesus Mendez, 15.

Rewinding to October 8 in New Hampshire - According to Union Leader, Senior Assistant Attorney General N. Will Delker has said four armed teens entered the secluded home in Mont Vernon about 4 a.m.,with robbery plans and to kill anyone they found inside. Kimberly Cates, 42, was fatally attacked in her bed with a machete and a knife. Her 11-year-old daughter, Jaimie, survived the attack, and was able to call 911. She suffered injuries that led to hours in surgery at Children's Hospital Boston. This will be a tough thing for her to live with.

According to CBS News, Four teens have been arrested. Charged with first-degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder and attempted murder are Steven Spader, 17, and Christopher Gribble, 19, both of Brookline, NH. They are being held without bail. Charged with burglary, conspiracy to commit burglary and robbery are William Marks, 18, and Quinn Glover, 17, both of Amherst, NH They are being held on $500,000 cash bail.

This reverberates to another senseless act in Dartmouth NH, in 2001 when two college professors were brutally killed in their home. If my memory serves me correctly, the reason they were killed is because they opened their door.

My heart goes out to all of these families. I can't imagine what these tradgeies have put these families through.

Last night, I sat down to watch Criminal Minds. It was about three men who broke into a home and killed two couples. The next target was a young couple - a young boy picking up his girlfriend. That is when I chose to shut off the TV. With this type of stuff going on all around us, I just can NOT watch it on Television anymore. I love the perfect meld of the actors in the show. I now hate the show.

There are many shows on TV that I'm choosing not to watch: Criminal Minds, all the CSI shows, any that show violence along with blood and guts.

Thirty years ago my parents wintered in Florida and had the Union Leader mailed to them. I remember my father calling me, shocked that he had read about someone in New Hampshire being murdered. Thirty years ago it was not the normal.

Could someone please tell me WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON???? How are we raising children who have no regard for the human life?????

No comments: