Friday, July 31, 2009

Summer 2009 in New England



This has been one of the oddest summers here in New England. Three words...rain, rain, rain!!! I might be exaggerating, but I think we've had three sunny days this year. Ok, so yes, I am exaggerating! I'm actually quite surprised that our garden is growing very well. We've been able to pick lots of summer squash -- zucchini, yellow crook neck, a round green one (that looks like zucchini that morphed into a softball).

The snake that decided to take up residence this year in the garden has not kept me from gardening. (I think we've always had snakes, we've just kept it weeded better this year so they have a harder time hiding from us - phew!)Ok, I'll admit that I try to stay on the opposite end of the snake. He seems to like the tomato and summer squash plants. I don't care what anyone says, I AM MORE SCARED OF HIM THAN HE IS OF ME!!! The proof was when my husband took a hoe to him to try to get him out while we weeded. Nope, didn't work. He stayed right there and watched us the whole time. No fear of us at all. Naturally, I did not take my eyes off him either!

No comments: