Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Miss USA pageant - Miss California, Carrie Prejean and Perez Hilton

Perez Hilton (aka Mario Armando Lavandeira, Jr.) asked this question of Miss California, Carrie Prejean, in the Miss USA pageant on Sunday, April 19th, "Vermont recently became the fourth state to legalize same-sex marriage. Do you think every state should follow suit, why or why not." She answered, "I think it's great that Americans are able to choose one or the other. We live in a land that you can choose same-sex marriage or opposite marriage. And you know what, in my country, in my family I think that I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman. No offense to anybody out there, but that's how I was raised and that's how I think it should be, between a man and a woman."

Bravo Miss California for answering that question in the manner you did instead of answering like a politician and giving the answer he was looking for - even though it may have cost you the crown. Perez stated it was a "wrong answer" and obviously had a preconceived notion of what the "right answer" should have been. Would it have been a wrong answer if Sarah Palin had asked the question?

As you can see from her answer, she said she thinks it is a good thing that Americans have the choice, but her personal opinion is that marriage should be for opposite sex couples. Why isn't she entitled to her opinion? I think the question was extremely unfair and that there was NO right answer. If she said she thought all states should follow, there probably would have been as many boo's in the audience (no actually more since the applaud was louder than the boo's).

If you watch Perez's interview with Larry King, he admits to using the pageant for his own platform -- for promoting equal rights for gays and lesbians. I'm surprised Donald Trump let him get away with that! and how did a celebrity basher become a judge, anyway?

Here's my question for Perez Hilton, instead of asking Miss North Carolina if taxpayer money should go to bailouts, why didn't you ask her a question that required a more "politically correct" answer; should taxpayer money be spent on promoting gay/lesbian rights?

I'm sure that many will misconstrue this posting to mean that I'm homophobic, when in reality, I really don't care what anyone does in the privacy of their own bedroom! and even though I don't think that marriage offers more protection than legal business papers, I don't have a problem with gay marriages. I just have a problem with people bashing people because their opinion is different from their own.

And, oops I almost forgot...Congratulations to Miss North Carolina!

No comments: