Friday, April 10, 2009

How NOT to Cook a Spiral Ham

Okay, so now I just had to shut off Good Morning America when I saw Emeril LaGasse tie a spiral ham so that it would not fall apart. Huh???? How many people have ever had a spiral ham fall apart when baking it? Any spiral ham I've ever cooked was cut in a way that didn't allow that to happen! Further, I've actually had to cut them to get the meat to come off.

Here's a better idea: Cover it like the directions say. Ever eaten one that was cooked without being covered? YUKKK -- The worst I've ever tasted! It was at a friends house, so I had to eat at least one piece to be polite.

SUMMARY: How to cook a spiral ham. Cover it (aluminum foil works well) as the directions say. Also follow the directions on the package (they are usually inside) for cooking temperature and how many minutes per pound.

And by the way Emeril and GMA, are you just trying to prove that we Americans are sheep and can be herded to do whatever we are led to?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree! I can barely cook and I've never had a problem w/ a spiral ham!

I am trying to get around to all of my Followers this week. Some folks are getting a "Stack Overflow" message when they visit my blog. This is a random interaction problem between blogger and Internet Explorer. To fix this, just empty your Temp or Temp Internet folder. You could also consider switching to Firefox as your browser. I hope you'll still continue to visit!