Friday, April 10, 2009

GMA - Guns, Children and Gun Control

In case you missed it this morning, Good Morning America showed a segment that I remember seeing 10 years ago, when they first aired it. They put children in a room where they had placed guns in a toy box. In the other room were the parents, able to watch their children and the children's reactions to the guns. Of course the kids picked them up and pointed them at the other kids.

I remember saying to myself 10 years ago, "Why would any adult in their right mind think a child would NOT pick up a gun that was in a toy box?????????" Why would adults think kids would not think it was okay to pick up ANYTHING that was in a toy box? It's not like there is NO such thing as a toy gun. These kids looked to be around 5 or 6 years old (I can't remember how old they said they were and I can't find the video online). No, I don't think the kids found these guns in drawers or closets or anything. YES THEY WERE IN THE TOY BOX!!! I guess what they proved, was that kids will pick up anything in a toy box.

I would love to see a ban on guns -- toy guns that is. I think all metal toy guns should be confiscated and toy guns should only be made out of wood and made to look unrealistic. That way, children would be able to immediately know the difference between a real gun and a toy gun. Police officers would also be able to differentiate between a real and toy gun.

I also saw older kids on the show, who looked to be around 16, looking down the barrel of a gun. They were old enough to know better. Obviously they had never been taught respect of and the safe handling of guns; point them in a SAFE direction.

If there is no dog in the house, responsible adults teach their kids to respect dogs and how to handle them. Why not the same with guns?

No comments: