Monday, February 23, 2009

NY Post Chimp Cartoon Compares Stimulus Author to Dead Primate

I just can't hold it in any longer....I wrote this comment in reply to "Mr. Dreadful" who was commenting on Sam Stein's article "New York Post Chimp Cartoon Compares Stimulus Author To Dead Primate" in the Huffington Post who was commenting on the New York Post's chimp cartoon (boy that was long).
My comment below, is in response to this comment in the Huffington by Mr. Dreadful.

Bravo, Mr. Dreadful! My translation of this cartoon is that the chimp relates more to the stimulus bill itself than any person or race. To me it infers that the bill was written in panic (maybe by crazed lunatics) to save the economy. If I were going to relate the chimp in this cartoon to people, it would be the Democrats. As reported in this paper, Nancy Pelosi commented in regards to Republicans not voting for the stimulus package, "We won the election, we wrote the bill." A little pompous, I"d say.
And yes, I totally agree with you, what does it say about those people who saw this as a racial issue? I might be naïve, but I don"t think things are always about race or black and white...and speaking of Al Sharpton, isn't he the one who wanted the innocent Duke boys hung and has still not apologized almost two years after the charges were dropped?



Things I maybe should have added to the post: In my mind African-Americans are NOT synonymous with monkeys. I do realize, however that this cartoon could have been hurtful to some people and maybe the NY Post should have been a little more sensitive to racial stereotypes. However, it upsets me that I need to be sensitive to racial undertones because of narrow-minded bigots. If those people did not exist, maybe no one would have to worry any more about any comments ever being racial slurs or cartoons like this being offensive.

No comments: