Monday, March 15, 2010

It's Official...The First Day of Spring

It's official. I'm declaring today as the first day of spring! In the last two weeks, I've seen lots of American Gold Finches, Starlings and several Canada Goose --all birds I never see in the winter. Today I saw House Finches (or maybe Purple Finches they were too far away to properly identify) and Red-Winged Black Birds. To me, these birds are all signs of spring. I know it is not supposed to offically start until this coming Sunday (March 21), but I'm starting my spring now!

And this brings me to "Canada Goose". Since the species name is Canada Goose, how do we make that plural? If we call them Canada Geese or Canadian Geese or even Canadian Goose, aren't we changing the name of the species? Is it just a Canada Goose -- plural and singular? Anyone know the answer to this?

No comments: