Monday, May 13, 2013

Angelina Jolie's Double Mastectomy


 
Many things went through my mind when I heard about Angelina Jolie’s double mastectomy.  Of course I immediately assumed she had breast cancer.  For me it was very disturbing to know genetic testing precipitated this surgery.  

I can’t say I know much about genetic testing, but I do remember when it was first in the news (yes, I’m THAT old).  Doctors were saying they were concerned that rather than looking at the results as a guide in monitoring for specific disease, people would be unnecessarily removing body parts.  Hmmmm…

When a Hollywood personality, who is more than likely idolized, goes to the extreme of removing body parts that MIGHT end in cancer, I believe it sets a precedent for others to do the same.  Will all the women who look up to her and follow in her footsteps be able to afford reconstructive surgery?

CNN reports, “Only women with increased risk from family history are likely to benefit from such genetic testing, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Only 3% to 5% of women who develop breast cancer have a BRCA mutation, and about 10% to 15% of women with ovarian cancer have a BRCA mutation.”

An article by Robyn O’Brien states, “According to the Breast Cancer Fund, 1 in 8 women now have breast cancer. But only 10 percent of those cases can be linked to genetics. In other words, 90 percent of breast cancers being diagnosed today are non-genetic or being triggered by factors in our environment.”  http://blogs.prevention.com/inspired-bites/2013/02/25/dirty-dairy-the-unlabeled-artificial-growth-hormone-hiding-in-our-fridges/

Only 3% to 5% of women who develop breast cancer have a BRCA mutation!  I’ll say it again, only 3% to 5% of women who develop breast cancer have a BRCA mutation!  My math has never been superior, but how does that translate to an 87% risk when 90% of breast cancers are NOT genetic????

It is reported that Myriad Genetics’, the company that owns the patent on the genetic testing, stock skyrocketed after news was out about Jolie’s mastectomy.  http://www.naturalnews.com/040365_Angelina_Jolie_gene_patents_Supreme_Court_decision.html

And is it true there is an upcoming Supreme Court hearing for the patent to be extended?  I would like to know if Jolie received any remuneration for this surgery or for speaking out about genetic testing.

Had she removed her breasts and not had implants (because that’s what reconstructive surgery means, right?), I might think it heroic.   I think it was cowardly.  What will be next, people will be on the liver transplant list because gene testing results indicate they MIGHT end up with liver cancer?

So, yes, I think it was a dumb decision.  But that’s just my humble opinion.

No comments: