Monday, November 28, 2011

'Tis the Season!

Are you as bothered when you see Facebook posts, random emails, etc. promoting, "Say Merry Christmas," as if it is a crime to be tolerant of others' religions by saying, "Season's Greetings". As a Christian, it bothers me. Being Christian is, in itself, a good reason to be tolerant of other religions.

Sure, I say, "Merry Christmas," because that is what I am celebrating. Do I send a religious, Christian Christmas card to my aunt or friend who is Jewish? No! I carefully choose a card that does not contain a bible verse relating to Christ's birth; I choose a 'seasonal' card.

Would I be offended if someone wished me a Happy Chanukah? Most definitely not. But if they did, I would reply with, "Happy Chanukah to you and a Merry Christmas!"

The controversy surrounding 'Merry Christmas' will surely go on after I am gone, but maybe people will become more tolerant of others' religions in the years to come. That is what I want for Christmas this year!

Merry Christmas! Happy Chanukah! Happy Kwanzaa! I'm sure I've missed other celebrations that take place in December - my apologies to those who celebrate them! (And please feel free to add any I've missed in the 'comment' area.)

No comments: