Thursday, August 27, 2009

Please Help Me Start Something New

Please help me start something new. This help request is precipitated by my being slightly germophobic. When washing my hands with soap and water in a public bathroom, I usually look over at the paper dispenser and ask myself, "why didn't I pump out the paper before washing my hands"? Then I say to myself, "wouldn't it have been nice if the last person had left a small amount of paper hanging down? If they had, I could use that to pump out more paper if needed." It seems a real waste of both soap and water if you must touch everything after washing.

Two weeks ago I went to the beach and the next day I woke up with a sore throat. The public bathroom I had been using did not have a paper dispenser-- it had a blower dryer. To make it worse (since I had no paper to use to shut off the faucet and spaced out using my elbow), to get out of the bathroom, it was necessary to grab the screen door that swung in rather than out. Two days later my throat was worse rather than better and since I had no cold symptoms, I suspected strep. A throat culture proved it to be strep as I suspected and the nurse said, "it is a strain we don't see very often." NO WONDER I'M SLIGHTLY GERMOPHOBIC!!! I'm just glad I called the doctor so quickly.

The next time I'm at the beach, I'll bring my own soap and water and just wash my hands back at my umbrella. But in the meantime, when we use a paper dispenser in a public bathrrom, how about we all leave a 6 inch piece for the next person? (Especially with the threat of Swine Flu so imminent.)

No comments: